Friday, December 14, 2012

INSTANT CUSSLER-RELATED COLLECTIBLE?

Last year I placed a hefty deposit for the new NUMA (Cussler endorsed) DOXA watch. Instead of the traditional DOXA orange, the watch face is turquoise, the sort of official color of NUMA. In addition, the NUMA logo (diver over the western hemisphere highlighting North America) is on the face. There would only be 50 of the watches made but then an open edition of blue NUMA DOXAs would come out later. The deposit for my watch was $1,000 and the remaining balance ($695) was due when the watch was ready. In would be months and to be honest I wasn't in a hurry, since I had to save up my nickels and dimes anyway. Rather quickly (before the watch was released), I was under the impression that the edition (of only 50) sold out--which turned out to be the case.
In July of this year my watch was ready and, after sending in the balance, I received watch number 18. It's the 1200 model and I gotta say it looks and feels great. And to be honest I wondered what the demand would be once they came out. It wasn't long before I found out. You see, one came up for sale on ebay. It was number 37 (out of 50) and the seller had kept the watch in all its original packing. I followed the auction and interest for the watch was high. On August 7th it ended up selling for staggering $3,713.69. So I'm thinking: I could have bought two, sold one like this seller did and easily paid off the one I wear. Oh well. Maybe next time. I guess DOXA's tag-line is true: "Wear it for five years, and sell it for more than you paid."
From the looks of this auction, I can't help but agree. That's gotta be 100% increase in one month. Not bad.
DOXA has begun taking orders for the new blue NUMA watch. I gotta admit after seeing the photos, it's pretty impressive. The blue is a deeper hue, more like royal blue and the NUMA logo (in the lower left quadrant) is in white (it's black on mine). The white against the blue is a great contrast. Still, since turquoise is the NUMA color, I have to say I like mine much better. Plus, it does seem to be the same color blue as DOXA has had on their Caribbean edition. Nonetheless, if you're interested in getting one or checking them out, click

No comments:

Post a Comment