Friday, December 14, 2012

CUSSLER BOOK CLUB EDITIONS

Contrary to many, I personally think that book club editions are an important aspect of my Cussler collection. This also includes BCAs (the U.K. book club version). Overall, I enjoy collecting them as an interesting variation of the tradition hardcover. They're usually smaller in size, compact and have pretty much the same dust jacket (as far as cover art and related information) as the regular hardcover edition. Basically, it's like they're waiting to grow up and be a big book. Unless one belongs to a book club, sometimes they're tricky to come across. While I don't belong to a traditional book club, I am a member of the Doubleday Large Print Book Club. The reason is so I can add to my collection the occasional (although rarely produced) large print book club edition. But the great thing about getting book club editions is that they're usually fairly inexpensive and in terrific condition. Recently, I came across a book club edition of The Kingdom (of the Fargo series) at a thrift store. I don't think it had been read and (with it's dust jacket) was basically in mint condition. I also got a book club edition of The Jungle (Oregon Files) in similar shape on ebay. After getting them, I wonder: are they rarely ever read? Are they simply bought to fulfill a member's obligation in that book club? I don't know and don't really care as long as they remain available to collectors. I've also began looking for a book club edition of the recently released The Race (Isaac Bell series). And a few days ago, while I was spending some time looking through my collection, I noticed I didn't have a BCA (U.K) of Arctic Drift and Crescent Dawn. How did I miss that? So it's back to the Internet to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment