Friday, December 14, 2012

BUILT FOR ADVENTURE DUST JACKET COVER

Recently, I obtained a copy of BUILT FOR ADVENTURE: The Classic Automobiles of Clive Cussler and Dirk Pitt, in hardcover. It’s a beautifully-illustrated coffee table book featuring the cars in Clive’s collection. As with all my hardcovers with dust jackets (even paperbacks with separate wraparound covers), I immediately wanted to get mine in a protective Brodart-type cover. I use the #10 (10 inches) which reflects the dust jacket’s maximum height and fits well with many of Cussler hardcovers. Actually, they work well with pretty much all the standard hardcovers produced today. What I didn’t consider was how long the jacket was (in inches). The total length of the cover is 35 inches. Obviously one of the covers I use won’t work. I didn’t check to see if a cover exists to fit this size book, so I came up with an idea. I’ll Scotch tape two covers together which is what I did. Of course this new cover (40 inches in length) was now too long for the jacket flaps to fit into the book. So I trimmed the extra amount that extended beyond the jacket flaps and it worked fine. Since the tape is on the outside of where both covers meet (and it’s not touching the actual jacket) it didn’t have to be archival or acid-free. To be honest it worked out quite well. One slight aesthetic concern with this is when the book sits on the shelf spine out, the tape (although transparent) can still be noticed. While I have no plans to redo mine, here’s a suggestion if you choose to do the same thing. Since there’s plenty of cover to spare, offset where the two come together so it’s not on the spine. So should it be moved to the front cover or rear? My suggestion is to move the splice more to the back cover so it won’t distract from the front.

No comments:

Post a Comment